Sunday, 4 November 2012

London Football: Queens Park Rangers 1 Reading 1, Premier League

In the Loftus Road battle of clubs who traditionally wear blue and white hoops, Reading showed unusually disciplined defence against an instinctively attacking Queens Park Rangers, writes Paul Coleman.
  Clad in all-yellow, Leigertwood and Tabb, an influential and composed midfield duo, protected Reading's back four, restricting Rangers to mostly long-range, open play efforts. 
   Powerful shots from Rangers' gifted Taarabt and lacklustre Cissé lacked direction. On-target shots lacked power.
  Gorkss' snap-shot 17th minute goal typified Reading outfighting Rangers to loose balls and headers - and capitalised on loose marking by Rangers' defenders. 
   With both teams unchanged, the formulaic football continued in the second period - although Rangers' more instinctive attacks prompted by Taarabt and Hoilett menaced Reading with increased frequency.
   Hitherto poor, Cissé surprisingly controlled and converted Bosingwa's flat and fast cross for a well-taken Rangers' equaliser. The goal continued Reading's sad trait of conceding at least one goal every game for the season.
   Although out of the blue, Cissé's goal put a spring in Rangers' step, especially Taarabt. Reading goalkeeper McCarthy denied Taarabt an almost certain clincher with a fine save after 83 minutes.
   In a nervy finale, both teams huffed and puffed vainly for a vital winner.
  Reading fans were pleased with their team's defensive discipline. Worryingly, Rangers created few clear open-play chances against a Reading team who had scored five but conceded seven in their last match against Arsenal.
Troubling for both Rangers and Reading supporters, this 1-1 stalemate meant both teams still had not won a Premiership game in the 2012/13 season. A long, hard campaign loomed for both clubs.

Full-time: Queens Park Rangers 1 Reading 1 (Half-time: 0-1).
Man of the Match: McCarthy (Reading).

Paul Coleman, London, November 2012

No comments: